Sunday, June 09, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - June 9, 2013




Well I am back from holiday and it was a quite a productive week reading. I could have read even more but I actually had to talk to my in-laws and go see things! So what did I get up to?

I started my holiday with the penultimate book of the Empire's Edge series, Forged in Blood 1 by Lindsay Buroker. What a cliff hanger!  It was like the Mount Everest of cliff hangers and the only thing that didn't have me throwing my Kindle on the floor in a huge tantrum is that the final book is out this summer. I can hardly wait. I then tucked into The Blue Blazes by Chuck Wendig which I will be reviewing soon so I will keep you in suspense until then about what I thought of it. I have to say that I LOVE the cover. Wendig's covers are like works of art so be sure to check it out.  Another book I will soon be reviewing is Rapture's Edge by J.T.Geissinger which is the third book in the Night Prowler series. I quite enjoyed this installment so keep your eye out for more detail about what I thought of it.

I needed a little break from all the excitement of new books so went back and re-read Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews. I love these books and re-read them quite regularly. I also re-read the final few chapters of The Janus Affair by Philippa Ballantine and Tee Morris. I love Books and Braun. 


In between getting sunburned and eating too much I decided to clear a few things off my TBR pile. The first book off the list was The Twelve by Justin Cronin. I really loved The Passage and felt the same about The Twelve although I was totally confused by the 'Amy' scenes. If anyone would like to tell me what happened at the end I would be extremely grateful.

Another book on my TBR I started was Queen of the World by Ben Hennessy.  I have had this for awhile so decided to give it a go. Its quite an unusual book about a mute girl who is on the run with a giant of an ex-soldier and a demon. I have mixed thoughts about it at the moment but I will let you know what I thought about it next week. Finally, while waiting at the airport I discovered that the next book of the Blood Destiny series, Blood Politics by Helen Harper was available. I managed to read this book on my journey home. These books have always been a quick read for me and this is no exception. I didn't enjoy this installment as much as the others. It really felt like a filler book without much happening other than to leave me feeling dissatisfied. I am hoping that the next book brings it back on track.

So its back to work for me tomorrow and back to that long book gobbling commute. Until next week Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. I need to get to Chuck's books. I've heard amazing things about them. Hope you have a great week this week. :)

    ReplyDelete