Sunday, August 25, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - August 25, 2013





This is a bank holiday weekend in the UK so I get a whole extra day to get chores done or what is more likely to happen I will spend the extra day not getting any chores done but a few books read!

This has been a bit of a mixed genre kind of week for me. I started the week with an urban fantasy and finished off with Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong. I really liked this final installment of the Otherworld series. Look out for my review next week to find out why and what I liked about it. I then switched genres to paranormal mystery in the form of Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer. I got this book from NetGalley and it is set in the mid 1910's, about a decade after the big earthquake in San Francisco. Delia is being haunted by a ghost (who she calls Shadow) and the ghost is desperate for Delia's help to solve her murder. I am planning to review this book so I don't want to give too much away. I should have finished it but I read a few things in between. I am hoping to finish it today.

I did get completed distracted from my reading plan by reading recommendations. Note to self.....don't listen to random recommendations. I am not even sure where I read about Never Kiss a Rake by Anne Stuart.This was a complete departure from anything I have read in about a decade. I used to read a lot of historical fiction and historical romance but my tastes changed. Never Kiss a Rake was 100% historical romance. It was described as being a retelling of Jane Eyre. I love Charlotte Brontë and have read Jane Eyre a few times over. Unfortunately for me, Never Kiss a Rake was nothing like Jane Eyre. I think the only thing that was the similar was that the hero Adrian Bruton, aka Rochester was rich and married. On the plus side this was a '2 tube journey' book so I got to work and back without having to challenge myself too much or worried that I would miss a plot point.

I was perusing my Kindle recommendations and came across The Keepers by Donna Augustine. This was the story about a girl who goes from thinking she is a freak of nature to discovering she is an extremely powerful half blood from two alien races. I am still quite indecisive whether this was science fiction or urban fantasy. There were alternative universes, aliens in the form of Fae and werewolves and wormholes. If anyone knows what genre that all fits into let me know. Luckily The Keepers was ridiculously cheap on Amazon....think about 69p. It had quite a lot of promise but it could have done with a few beta reviews. There were typos and grammatical mistakes that could have been avoided with an objective read-through. It also seems to finish mid-sentence. While its the first book in The Alchemy series it could have ended on a cliff hanger at the very least rather than ending in what seemed that there were a few pages missing.

Hopefully, this weekend I will get back on my reading track and leave the recommendations for another time. To find out whether I succeed then come back next Sunday. Until then Happy Reading.

2 comments:

  1. I also have a copy of "Delia's Shadow," and though I often avoid UF these days, I was caught by the description and figured I ought to give it a chance. I like UF far more when there's a lower emphasis on romance, and doubly so when it's a historical UF.

    Sadly, though, my time's been so taken with other things lately that I'm not sure when I'm going to get the chance to read it! Hopefully by the end of September, but I was hoping to get to it sooner than that.

    I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished Delia's Shadow today. I can assure you its more paranormal mystery than historical romance/fantasy. I am hoping to write my review in the next couple of days or so.

    ReplyDelete