Sunday, September 08, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - September 08, 2013





Forgive me readers for I have sinned. I bought more books rather than reading something from my TBR collection. Plus, I wantonly bought books from Kindle recommendations purely because they were less than £2. I will do better next week! So what did I read?


I started my book buying bonanza with MacRieve by Kesley Cole which is book 13 of the Immortals After Dark series. I don't normally like this type of PNR but I started reading this series on a recommendation by a friend and now determined to finish it. I am also slightly intrigued to find out who is going to be the ultimate bad guy when so many of the baddies are fighting on the good side. I also liked the front cover. I think the model on the front cover is more how I imagined MacRieve to be rather than the 'hotter' he is described in the book. Second book I bought on a whim was The Alpha's Daughter by Jacqueline Rhoades. I was looking for a quick, 'easy on the brain' read and while this book did live up to that criteria it was just a tad dull. Spending chapters reading about painting and decorating was not my idea of a gripping or compelling read. I am not even going to give you the title of the third book I bought because I am too embarrassed that I bought a book that was sooo bad. I tried to get past page 50 but couldn't do it. I am not a prude but the language was incredibly crude and vulgar. I thought from the book description it was going to be light-hearted and a bit funny, but what I got was something that made me feel like I had been rolling around in a gutter outside a brothel.



I gave up on my new books and finished Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl by David Barnett. I am reviewing this book next week so keep a look out for it. All I can say is that it was a delight in comparison to what I had been reading.


I am finishing the week on a high and all thanks to Cassandra Rose Clarke and The Assassin's Curse.  I cannot put this book down I am loving it so much. I also loved The Mad Scientist's Daughter and I think Clarke is going to get on my favourite authors list. If you haven't read either of these books then you need to drop whatever you are doing and get them. Clarke is a fantastic storyteller and has an amazing imagination. I think I am going to leave you there as I need to get back and finish this book. I hope you find a book you enjoy as much as I have. Until next week Happy Reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment